Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Better Late Than Never...

Alexander McQueen SS 2012

I know the collections have been out for some time now, and i have been meaning to blog more on them, but I suppose I was just distracted by other topics.  I think the first thing McQueen fans are looking for in any new collection, is how well Sarah Burton can capture and carry over the remarkable essence and design aesthetic that was unique to McQueen.  I think this collection puts to rest any doubts fans may have had.  Honestly, i see no gap.  The imagination is over the top, (as we all love about McQueen) every intricate detail and embellishment is deliberate and precise.  
Burton's inspiration for this collection on the three G's: Grès for the pleating and draping, Gaudí for the architecture, and Gaia for the sense oceanic life that is so interestingly placed in each of these pieces.  The lace, the ruffles, the leather straps, the Titan-esque shoes--all of these things are seemingly anything but cohesive, and only McQueen, and in this case Sarah Burton, (who truly demonstrated her understanding of his aesthetic) could pull together all these elements in a way that is imaginative, captivating, and representative of a legacy left behind.













Balenciaga

Although I am not used to seeing Nicolas Ghesquière do sportswear, but this collection for Balenciaga certainly kept the crisp and structured silhouettes that the label does so well. What I have always love about Balenciaga, is no mater how quirky, or avant-garde the designs may be, Ghesquiere always remembers how to fit this to a woman in a way that is still flattering and sexy.  I think it is important to have something a bit interesting or even a bit off, about a look...you know something that says "that is sexy, in a weird way."  











Ann Demeulemeester

The muse this season for Demeulemeester was, and so vividly captured I must say, the Edwardian traveler.  The color pallete fits perfectly with the juxtaposition of the masculine and tailored double breasted jackets combined with the feminininity of the sheer and delicately draping dresses.   







Costume National

I was not familiar with this label before, but after this collection I will be sure to stay tuned for more!  Ennio Capasa is the designer, and I am absolutely in love with the hard angles and structured silhouettes (if you havn't notices, that's something I always look for).  The candy pink, Indigo blues, and seafoam green, remind me of the kind of chic fashion you'd find in a classic 80's movie.  I think these looks are so fun, sexy, and fresh.  I feel like I could see Katy Perry or Emma Stone wear something from this collection.  My favorite is the first dress in the third row.  






No comments:

Post a Comment